Guidelines

Donald R McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Thu Apr 13 14:48 MDT 2000

List,

Thanks to all that responded to my request for dialog regarding the
Guidelines. Keep it coming! So far it appears that the formula should
stay as is. We will keep this topic open until the end of the forum in
Arlington. I propose that at the forum, we put the question of the
formula to a vote. If there is any dissension from those who cannot
attend speak now. Any revisions to the Guidelines will be completed this
year. (I hope :-) We also need to come up with a way to get endorsements
as was done the first time.

The argument that the bean counters need to see specific information on
how they are losing money is worth pursuing. Those that have used the
Guidelines successfully are to be congratulated. But, it is really hard
to break down the doors at some institutions. Believe me, I have tried.
If something can be incorporated into the Guidelines to help technicians
get through to the bean counters, it is worth pursuing. Please give this
some thought and send any suggestions to the list or me. I plan to put
some sort of chart together to add to my justification here at IC. If it
turns out to be useful, I will share it with everyone to see if it looks
like something we can add to the Guidelines.

Ken Eschete's analogy of comparing the maintenance situation to the
temperaments was great. I wish I could use that on the powers that be.
Oh well, I will have to come up with something else.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College