Steinway regulation

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed Apr 12 22:25 MDT 2000

Years ago while tuning a fairly new Yamaha grand, I noticed the shanks
resting on the rest felt and no after touch. Obviously the piano had been
played without attention. As a courtesy I raised the shanks to bring the
hammers to the 'proper' height and it played like a responsive grand again.

The customer sat down and 'hated' it. What did I do to the touch? It plays like
one of those pianos in a store, not _my_piano. I lowered the shanks back down
and he was once again happy with the touch. To each his own.

The next time he called, I referred him to a tuner, that's all he needed.

After touch is a personal preference. You can get it from the hammer
almost bobbling to the jack hitting the player in the chin.   :-)

The greater the after touch, the less time the finger is in control of the key.
If you give an eighth on an inch to this follow through, that only leaves one
quarter of an inch for delivery.  If you can extend the delivery time, dynamic
control will increase.

I used to like the feel of deep after touch and divided the keystroke into
three
segments. The first eighth of an inch the damper lifted, the second eighth
the hammer got to the string, the third eighth was after touch.  Then I got
into
squeezing the most out of the action and after touch lost. It is needed for
follow through but I don't approach it as a setting but rather a by product.
If everything works properly, it's there automatically.

Come to think of it, I do use after touch in regards to a setting. When giving
a grand a top action regulation, I set the hammer height to result in a
sufficient
follow through.

Regards,

Jon Page