Steinway regulation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Apr 12 14:53 MDT 2000

Jon is certainly correct in his observation on the importance of capstan
placement to action geometry. One could add knuckle placement and action
spread as additional important contributing factors. My intent wasn't to
get into design issues, but just to observe from a practical point of
view that the likely cause of the annoying problems - repetition being
iffy and the jack hitting something, maybe the flange - was the excess
aftertouch, based on what Jeff reported.
	If the action regulated well with .39 dip and, I assume, about 1 7/8
blow, as Jeff stated (he didn't say how much blow), then it should
regulate reasonably well with .375 dip and 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 blow, at least
in my experience, with the caveat that aftertouch might be less than I'd
like and check distance might need to be tweaked on the far side. And if
that's what the customer wants, more power to him (he'll need it to get
the volume, but maybe he doesn't want volume so much as some form of
finesse). On the other hand, I find it hard to imagine a pianist wanting
greater than 1/16 letoff.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico