Steinway regulation

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed Apr 12 11:28 MDT 2000

If you really want to start analyzing the key stroke, the location of the
capstan
on the key will determine where the jack will end up at the end of the key
stroke
with a given dip, hammer length & blow parameters.

An O, I have in now, did not have the jack clearing the knuckle
sufficiently with
the original parts or any combination from the Renner USA Parts Kit. The
capstan
was at a considerable angle (105 degrees) but needed to move back to move
the wip
through the needed distance. What ended up was to have the capstan 92 degrees
(procedure described below) to the key, keeping the head in the same location.
The hole was drilled back 1/8" and the angle changed. It actually dropped
the KR .01
on both naturals and sharps. Now the jack is just in from of the knuckle at
check-in
(optimum) in stead of bobbling. A short hammer blow was needed to correct
it before.

A few observations I have made on well regulating actions are, for lack of
a better
phrase, vector alignment.

Two items in particular for discussion:
The juxtapositions of the jack to the shank
and the capstan to the whippen.

1
In selection of action spread and/or knuckle to center pin radius, the
jack should be perpendicular to the shank at rest, its interaction
friction at this tangent will be lowest initially.

2
In selection of capstan location, the capstan should be perpendicular
to the whippen when the key is depressed one half the dip minus letoff.
(ie: .390 - 1/16"(.062) = .328    .328 / 2 = .164    .164 + .062 = .226)
A spacer of .226 (arbitrary at this point) placed on the front rail punching
will hold the weighted key in position. For the "O", I used 7/32 (.216).
(A spacer of 3/16" did not allow for jack clearance). *
While the key is held at this juncture a string is drawn from the bottom of the
balance rail hole to the whippen center pin and a mark is placed at its
intersection with the whippen cushion.
The whippen is removed and a line is drawn through this mark perpendicular
to the whippen support. Reinstall the whippen and reset the key to that
half-way
position. Place a rule along the line on the whippen and extend it on the
side of
the key. That is the location and angle of the capstan. Rig up a temporary
capstan
(two damper inserts on a wire) and see how it regulates, if the jack has
sufficient clearance; fine. If not, find the location along the key stick for
optimum regulation for your set parameters. Cushion height may have to be
adjusted
for br/cp line and determine capstan angle by above procedure.
I was lucky, it was right where it was supposed to be.

This half stroke/perpendicular setting will have the two pieces moving through
the same arcs during play, while allowing sufficient after touch.  The
angle created
between the whippen and key lines at rest will be the mirror image of the angle
of them at check-in. The jack should be just in front of the knuckle with
the key
fully depressed not pressed into the stop felt at the end of the balancier.

I have applied this theory to the last few actions and have had favorable
results.
I look at the capstan as moving through a distance, pushing the whippen through
a distance. The whippen only needs to move_so_far. Change the capstan location
and the capstan will move the whippen through a different distance. That
distance
determines the 'sweep' of the jack, so to speak.

* The numbers I gave above are just examples and certainly not necessarily
a point of contention, the procedure in general is what I wanted to pass along.
Your figures may vary.  No doubt.

I also have a new photo of my new and improved capstan boring jig  :-)
The old capstan holes were drilled out to 1/4" and plugged with long plugs
cut from old keys.

Regards,

Jon Page

Jon Page,   piano technician