Steinway regulation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Apr 12 09:40 MDT 2000

Seems to me that whatever is occurring at the end of the cycle (bottom
of dip, top of action) is probably due to the "more than a minimal
amount of aftertouch." Where the wippen is to begin with, as adjusted by
the capstan, really isn't relevant here (referring to the slapping
noise). It's how far it goes after the cycle is completed. So among
other things, shimming the stack definitely wouldn't help.
	Sounds like a very strange setup. Reduced dip, I can understand. Tastes
vary in that regard. But coupled with increased letoff _and_ aftertouch?
Boggles the mind. Close letoff is non-negotiable in my book (other than
keeping string breakage down in the practice rooms). Most pianists would
complain of loss of control.
	3/8 dip and 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 blow should work reasonably well as long as
aftertouch is minimized. Check might need to be increased a bit to allow
clearance between check and tail on upswing. I have regulated
successfully to client's satisfaction in that ballpark. Increased
aftertouch _would_ lead to repetition problems in this scenario -
aftertouch is lost motion in reverse on key rise, with respect to
"re-loading" for a second blow. Coupled with increase in check, I can
see this might become pretty noticeable.
	On another subject, where exactly is everyone (particularly Steinway)
measuring precise keydip (to within .001 inch)? Front of key? Just
behind the lip? Mid key? (I remember years ago being told Steinway
called for a 3/8 keydip at the front, but it should be measured with the
top of the block even with the underside of the keytop. I always figured
about 13/32 (.406"), measured at the front of the key was a good
starting place, to be adjusted in tandem with desired blow and
aftertouch.) I note that the Steinway manual fails to specify where it
is measured (I have assumed front of key, but would love to hear an
official version).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico