Steinway regulation

David Skolnik skolnik@ibm.net
Tue Apr 11 23:20 MDT 2000

 Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:15:07 -0600

Subject: Steinway regulation

>After a couple tries at reversing the process, the piano now invites him
>to play again with the dip at 3/8", a "generous" let-off, and the hammers
>1/2" above the rest cushions (I think blow ended up between 1 5/8 - 1
>3/4"). However, the bass hammers are brushing the pin block as the action
>is pushed in, repetition is not what it should be, and on a very hard blow
>there is a clicking/knocking sound that I believe is the jack slapping up
>against the hammer flange because the wippen is so high. What can be >done
about this situation?

 Jeff Stickney

>At 12:29 PM 04/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>>It is more likely that the jack is hitting the end of the jack
>>window.  Lift an offender hammer and play the key until you get the
>>noise then look at what is happening.  Then decide if you want to
>>fix it or not.
>>
>>                 Newton

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff  Jon Newton and all-

Based on my own expirience, I believe the jack IS hitting the underside of
the  hammer flange, especially if you are serious about leaving a
"generous" amount of aftertouch.  Look carefully at the red "repetition
felt block" (Steinway diagram...#38).  If it does not protrude
significantly beyond the edge of the "balancier covering" (#39), then a
reasonable blow will propel the jack to contact the hammershank flange.
You can replace the felt with a thicker piece.  First try adding a thin
piece of cloth (no glue) just to see if the noise is eliminated.   Test
that the jack is not captured between the letoff  button and the cloth you
just added when the key is fully depressed.  Take a look at how much
distance you have between the back of  facing side of the knuckle and  the
"rep felt block (with and without the additional cloth).

I don't think you mentioned which parts you have, Hamburg or New York.

>I would let the customer complain about this noise and then explain
>to him why it is hitting the flange of rep end.
>If he insists on a short hammer blow then he has to live with the
>consequences.

>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
>mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure that the jack / hammershank flange contact
is an unavoidable outcome of a short hammer blow... only of a "generous"
aftertouch.  I plan to do some experiments later today.

Jeff ,  You mentioned the piano was previously used as a C& A instrument
in Spokane.  Did you try to gain any information from the previous
technicians?

Good luck

David Skolnik
600 West 111th St. 13D