Steinway regulation

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Tue Apr 11 16:39 MDT 2000

Allen Wright <allen.wright@oberlin.edu> wrote:

>The Steinway manual gives blow distances of 1" 7/8 for D's and 1" 3/4 for
>all others. They show keydip as .390 for B and D's, .420 for the rest.

-----------------

Greetings.  Last year I was called in to 'tweak' a newer "B" that had been
delivered to a pianist at a school and prepared to his specifications prior
to delivery.   He _loved_ the way it felt and responded, but the sound was
starting to get fuzzy and the regulation a bit uneven -- the usual
complaints after playing it for 6 months.  So I was given a day to
file/regulate/voice.  I filed the hammers, leveled strings, fit the
hammers, shored up the regulation and tuned the piano.  "Ahhh, just like
new!" was the comment.  "I love it!".

The specifications when I started (and when I finished) were:
	* key dip .420++
	* hammer blow 2" (practically resting on the cushions)
	* aftertouch ample
	* let-off and drop normal.
	* hammer centers 8-10 swings
	* DW 60, UW 30 (+/-)

The interesting thing is the piano is responsive, has good repetition, and
is amazingly easy to control.  When I pointed out to the pianist the
discrepancies from Steinway's 'normal specifications' he understood exactly
what I was talking about.  Apparently (I am told) there is a very respected
teacher at a very respected university out there who has the resident
technician regulate a number of the instruments this way.  The students get
used to the feeling and responsiveness of the instruments and then end up
searching and asking for pianos that are similar -- perhaps not unlike the
situation with the piano Jeff is working with that "invites" the pianist to
play.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else out there has had a similar
experience.

Rolf von Walthausen
Interlochen Center for the Arts