CAUT Guidelines

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Apr 6 14:50 MDT 2000

I  agree whole-heartedly with what Ken is saying here. If the admin. and
faculty don't see what is possible with proper staffing levels-  i.e. a
group of excellent, well maintained instruments, and what is probable
without enough staffing - i.e. the poor pianos everyone complains about,
they will never be able to make the best decisions regarding what it takes
to keep the body of the piano inventory in the first category. If all the
pianos are just so-so there is little motivation to change
anything...complacency sets in. Its the "just the way things have always
been, so why do we need to change" syndrome. Nobody wants to make waves
unless they have to. Of course, there has probably been an underpaid
technician in the mix who has martyred him or herself just to maintain the
mediocre status-quo. It has been my experience that it takes a near crisis
for things to change in institutions, especially State-operated ones. Take
proper care of the important instruments and let the others slide, or
nothing will ever change.

The guidelines should be the ideal. If you aim for the stars, you might at
least hit the moon instead of not even getting off the ground. When I
started at Miami University (Ohio) there were 150 or so pianos on the
inventory I was supposed to maintain as well as repair  band instruments. 30
- 40 of these pianos were in the dorms and around campus, and were the worst
collection of junk you could imagine. I waved the guidelines around and told
them I wasn't going to do the dorms because the Music School pianos would
suffer. They (much to my surprise) rolled over and said OK!  They never
asked me to repair any band instruments afterwards either. Plus, a local
technician got the gig tuning in the dorms.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati