CAUT Guidelines

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Apr 6 12:07 MDT 2000

I agree with the basic concept: avoid keeping everything just barely
livable, or everyone will assume the situation is just fine, even as it
slowly deteriorates. So it is best to allow noticeable deterioration to
occur. But another element is extremely important. Communication. People
have to know what is happening.
	I suggest getting appropriate faculty involved. Probably this is the
piano/keyboard faculty. Ask them to help you set priorities. Guide the
process with suggestions: "Obviously we need to make the perfomance
instrument(s) top priority. I would suggest the following list of
faculty studios, classrooms, practice rooms as an order of priority to
follow thereafter." Then tour the facility, having them play each
instrument. You'd be amazed how few faculty have any idea where the
practice rooms are, let alone the condition of the pianos.
	If you then come up with a list of what to rebuild, what to
recondition, etc. in some kind of order, you can report back that the
following is what will get done this year, so much next year, etc. Or we
can make some hard choices, tune the following pianos one time less a
year, etc., and do a little more rehabilitation work. (And maybe someone
can come up with some purchase money for new instruments).
	The point is to raise awareness among faculty, make it THEIR aim to
lobby for improvements, in competition with other faculty who are
lobbying for more money to rent parts, buy marimbas, attend conferences,
etc. And to make sure they are buying into the notion of improving some
instruments, knowing that others will suffer.

Just my two to maybe two and a half cents worth. If only my keyboard
faculty will stop turning over so fast, so I don't have to start over so
often! Not to mention chairs.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico