Drifting Unisons

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 31 05:16 MST 1999

G'day Geoffrey,

Sorry I'm alittle slow getting back on this, and I may be prepeating what
someone else has said...but I get the CAUT list as a digest...

As far as I'm aware, this phenomenon is common where the piano has had a
temperature shock of some sort. While the pitch patterns over the whole
piano indicate the typical humidity fluctuation, the unison variations are
absolutely typical of thermal shock.

It could be a result of a teacher or student using a fan heater in the room
or any other one of a thousand possibilities...
is it under an air-con duct?
look into the use patterns of the room and if possible monitor the habits of
those in the room on a regular basis...if you manage that, I'm sure the
whole list would like to know how you did it!

Mark Bolsius
Bolsius Piano Services
Canberra Australia