(Thank You and) C-7 with flat soundboard

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Wed Oct 13 07:03 MDT 1999

> The piano is a 25 year old Yamaha C-7.  The soundboard in the treble
>end is flat.  There is downbearing from the front of the bridge to the capo
>bar, but no downbearing from the back of the bridge to the aliquot bars on the
>plate.  The tone of the capo section is about like a banjo, half submerged in
>the swamp.  The students will have to play their recitals on this thing all
>year.
>	I'm wondering what would happen if I restrung the capo sections and
>replaced the aliquot bars with something thinner to produce downbearing at the
>back of the bridge.  My feeling is that it might improve the sound for a while,
>then eventually collapse.  If it got us through the year, that might be o.k.
>	Ideas will be appreciated! Thanks.
>		Ed Sutton

Hi Ed,

How much bearing is there now, and is that a four, or five string banjo? Did
you check to see how much of the awful noise is coming from the front
duplex? I'd guess at least some of it is. More bearing might help some, but
I wouldn't be too optimistic about it. I'd mute the front duplex and try
some creative voicing first. You'll lose some volume, but it might work well
enough to buy you some time with minimum effort. The rule is, for emergency
patch up stuff, try the cheap fix first.

Luck,
 Ron N