Q: Chickering

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun Oct 3 09:21 MDT 1999

At 02:10 AM 10/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>Horace Greeley wrote:
>Uh.....it's a 5' 10" model. No model number/letter, <i>per se</i>. Ser.
>#138577.
>1924-25 or thereabouts.
>Chickering's very own, it appears. Wooden rails, iron hangers. Standard-looking
>whippens - not some funky design. The kind without hammershank cushions
>(cubes). I'm updating it to Renner stuff. Universal whippen with a tall
>heel to match the profile of the originals. Seems to work out just fine.
>most notably
>I think that
>None of that brass crap in this one. And it isn't a quarter grand, either.
>It has about the best sound I've ever heard in a Chickering. Nice, mellow
>bass without getting thuddy, and a beautiful singing capo. The top capo
>isn't quite as nice, but it's not exactly dead, either.
>Thanks! We're all doing dandily. Ditto to you.
Michigan&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
>"Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
Music&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
>--Jimmy Durante

Hi Ron,
With your mail reader in "Martian" mode, this probably constituted Sunday
morning old guy abuse, or at least a prose encounter of the third kind, but
I managed to sift out a couple of legible words anyway. I just threw away a
set of Chickering shanks and hammers about three weeks ago. Sorry, no help
on dimensions. I did have to sand down the width of both the shanks and
flanges, and wippens to accommodate the tight spacing, so you might want to
check the width of the original and replacement parts. It wasn't all that
difficult, but it did eat up time I hadn't allowed for. Hopefully, I'll be
smart enough to notice next time... maybe. I also replaced the let off
screws with longer ones to compensate for the different jack tail angle on
the replacements. Worked just fine.

 Ron N