Q: Chickering

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Sat Oct 2 23:53 MDT 1999

Hi, Ron -

What a strange question!

It seems that Chickering was continuing to invent the piano long after
everyone else was done.  (I want to attribute this to the historical rivalry
with Steinway, reluctance to accept ideas that originated with S&S.)  I don't
think there was any make less associated with standard specifications, nor
any make with a greater number of scales.

Why do you ask?  You've kindled my curiosity.

    -   Tom McNeil, RPT   -
Vermont Piano Restorations

<<  Does anyone have any idea if Chickering used a standard 5 3/16" strike
distance
 (hammershank flange center to hammer core center) on their 5' 8" (5' 10"?)
grands? Any avid archivists out there keeping track?

 Thanks a mil!

 --
 Ron Torrella, RPT
 Piano Technician