advice on action parts

David Forman dforman@zdial.com
Sat Mar 20 05:45 MST 1999

I need some advice. I was asked yesterday to rebuild the action on an
old Steinway XR (M size player-player removed). The touch is already
heavy (58-60 grams) with the original parts, so I need to use new parts
that will not add any extra touch weight to the action. Should I go with
all original Steinway parts, although I've had weight problems with them
before on a piano, or go with aftermarket parts using the newer light
hammers Pianotek has advertised. I'm certainly no expert at this, so any
advice would be most welcome.
Dave Forman
Westminster Choir College of Rider University