Tuning frequency

Eric Wolfley eric.wolfley@uc.edu
Fri Feb 26 12:57 MST 1999

Avery,

Here at the Cincinnati Conservatory we're pretty much in the same boat as
Alan at Oberlin. We have three halls and hundreds of concerts or recitals a
year. In peak periods there can be three piano recitals back to back on the
same instrument. Needless to say, you learn a lot about your tuning
stability in this scenario. We start every day (7AM usually) in the halls
and usually have until 9 AM to set matters right. For faculty or guest
artist recitals I have convinced the scheduling office to give me an hour
before the doors open for the concert, but this is fairly rare, and I am
just polishing the tuning at that point. I , like Alan, will let the
overall pitch fluctuate a couple of cents before retuning because I simply
can't afford the time or the potential for destabilization. Though it
varies, I usually will give a full tuning every week to each instrument.

Eric