Kawai Damper Rail Problem

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Feb 26 11:30 MST 1999

List,

   I just sent this message to Don Manino but since he won't be in until
about 1 PM, maybe someone can help me before then.
   The problem is on a Kawai GE-3, #2244269, one of our "2 year old"
lease pianos. I'm not sure of the exact terminology, but here goes:
   Two of the three 'wooden blocks' which hold the damper lift tray in
position are totally loose from the back rail where the flanges are
screwed in. It looks as though the blocks were attached to a flange by
the center pin, holding it in place but which have now come out allowing
the tray to "swing in the breeze" and clatter and all sorts of things.
The bass end block is the only one still attached.
   My question is this: Is there a way to get the tray out and reattach
the flanges to the wooden blocks without removing all the dampers. Maybe
I overlooked something, but I couldn't see any other way to do it and I
sure would prefer not to have to do a complete damper regulation.
   Hopefully, I'm overlooking something that will make this an easier
fix than I "think" it's going to be. Any quick help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music