S & S capo

fred s sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Feb 26 11:08 MST 1999

After sending the previous post, it occurred to me to concur with Brent
Fischer in the idea
that it is the process of restringing (or originally stringing) that helps
create the problem of sizzle and zing. In restringing the upper treble to
achieve better
clarity/sustain and so forth, I consider that care in spacing strings
(doing it before pulling to pitch, when there is just enough tension to
hold them in place) is as important as resurfacing the capo and duplex,
resurfacing
and
renotching the bridge, and replacing the bridge pins (assuming the bearing
side is worn). Oh, and not "tapping" the strings down, but rather
stretching them into conformity with the bridge pins, duplex bars, and
capo. If the front duplex and capo are nicely shaped to begin with, it is
the shoving the strings back and forth to space that "planes" up little
curls of metal and creates zings, or at least that is how I conceptualize
it.
Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico