S & S capo

fred s sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Feb 26 10:58 MST 1999

Horace wrote about the proper treatment being to "case harden" the capo. I
remember reading about this possibility about 15 years ago in the PTJ
(Krefting was editing then), but haven't been able to locate the article
in years since. Maybe it was in the one or two issues I've misplaced.
Anyway, can anyone shed light on this? What is involved? (I seem to
remember removal of plate, and use of some sort of torch, with precise
temperature control being mandatory, or the whole effort was not only
wasted, but matters were made worse). Anyone doing this? Experiences?

Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico