Tuning Testing Standards

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Fri Feb 19 15:31 MST 1999

>>Jim- Your suggestion to combine the stability and unison part of the test is a good one, thus
giving examiners a chance to see/hear if the person being tested can
accurately tune unisons
that will withstand a substantial test blow. I would suggest doing this
in the entire treble
break just above the agraffes where unisons just love to embarass a
tuner. If you can tune
unisons here that will sing real pretty throughout an all Liszt program,
you're doin' just
fine!     Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conserrvatory<<

If we are bemoaning the number of Tuning Exam failures, I don't think
this suggestion is going to fix the problem. Quite the contrary. Also I
fear that if stability and unison testing were moved to this more
difficult proving ground, the frustration level for all involved in the
exam would increase, due to the higher incidence of wild strings.

I tend to agree with Jeffrey Hickey, that those who pass the exam are
those who know (have control over) what they are doing, and those who
fail, don't. If an examinee, who is trying to do an ET tuning, lacks
enough control to come up with more than a marginal quality (sounding)
tuning, and that tuning _passes_the_exam_, I don't think the exam is too
strict.

John Baird