Tuning Exam Problems

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu Feb 18 20:40 MST 1999

Hi Ed:

This is a great idea! It could eliminate our time consuming aural
verification which we now require of the examinee, but for which there is
no scoring.

Already you have my wheels turning. We could have a pre-recorded set of
intervals, each followed by the proper test intervals. The interval could
be announced and the examinee would mark whether the interval was wide or
narrow after hearing the test intervals played twice. For example, the A
to D 4th would be played followed by the 3rd-6th test (F-A and F-D). If the
3rd is faster than the 6th, we know that the A-D is narrow.

A series of these kinds of tests could be presented. An entire class of
applicants could take the test at the same time. We would have to have
more than one of these prepared tests recorded so that if one failed, there
would be a slightly different test the next time.

I can envision using this as part of the written test. Then we could
streamline the hands-on tuning test and save additional time.

I hope several people will talk this up on the PTG-l list as well. Many
heads are better than one.

Jim Coleman, Sr.