Tuning Testing Standards

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu Feb 18 20:38 MST 1999

Hi Ken:

Thanks for your comments and especially your emphasis on stability. Our
Tuning test does give a fairly tight scoring on stability.

I would prefer to change the stability test to cover only the 5th octave
to save time and have this combined with unisons. This is the killer
area where unisons most often go out, not in the 3rd and 4th octaves. I
have mentioned this in our committee. It was then felt that we should not
make too many changes at once. Perhaps next year would be more appropriate.
This would shorten the test and we would not have a score for stability
as such, but it would be reflected in how the unisons stay. I feel that
this would be a more practical test for stability and unisons. It doesn't
make any difference how well a person can tune a unison if it does not
stay.

Jim Coleman, Sr.