Tuning Testing Standards

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu Feb 18 07:42 MST 1999

I cannot disagree, but remember how well one of your trainees tuned
the first few pianos.

There are many tuners out there that are no better and _don't know
it_.

In this case the test is educational.  People are often surprized to
learn that they _have_ problems.  After the test they have a new set
of goals.

Any test has limits but it is ever so much better than what we had
before.  An examiner 'knows' when a tuner can tune but the test tries
to qualify, quantify and objectivize such 'knowing'.  I have been
involved in examinations for 30 years and find the current test a
royal pain but there is no other way to truly compare one tuning
against a "standard".

PTG is there to help these people improve their abilities.

		Newton