Tuning Testing Standards

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Wed Feb 17 17:53 MST 1999

Ken Sloane wrote:

>Though the standardized test was a big move forward in making PTG's tuning
>evaluation as objective as >possible, I don't think it focuses strongly
>enough on the essence of a good tuner -- i.e. a reasonable >temperament,
>tight unisons, octaves that are appropriate for the piano, and STABILITY.

DITTO.  I've always thought the essence of a good tuner is the ability to
tune clean unisons and stable intervals -- whatever their size.  Even an
untrained listener knows when a unison goes out or when the piano sounds
fuzzy.   The number one rule, and first thing I tell apprentices, is that
an unstable tuning is worthless.  So what if your thirds are perfect and
your temperament is 'equal'.  HOW LONG WILL IT LAST??

Rolf von Walthausen