Gram Tension Gauges

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed Feb 17 08:01 MST 1999

Dear Ron, and David, and Ron, and Newton, and Horace and Del.

Thanks for your replies.  The reason for trying to be precise, even in an
unstable environment is to at least bring the friction in the action
centers to an "acceptable range".  Right now, the action centers are
"unacceptable".  I was thinking that being precise would aid in making the
action to be more even from note to note, considering that right now it is
not even close.  When I have the opportunity to do something right, I would
like to do it right.

(Of course, I also like to do it my way, even if it is wrong!)

At 11:06 AM 2/16/99 , Ron Torella wrote:
>What I *still* haven't figured out is why everyone wants to be so
>confounded precise about something that, unless it's in an absolutely
>stable environment, will function well as long as the friction is within
>an "acceptable" range - which varies depending on the environment
>surrounding the instrument in question. I don't believe I've ever found
>a piano whose flanges were consistantly at "optimal friction levels."

>Ron Torrella, RPT

And Ron, you bring up a good point.  I will think about it.  But until I
decide differently, I would like to err on the side of precision!

Sincerely,
David A. Vanderhoofven