Gram Tension Gauges

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue Feb 16 10:06 MST 1999

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> (You might also check with them for gram gauges/gages.  That's where I
> got mine. For a lot less than $170.  Of course I've had them for 20 or
> more years...)

What I *still* haven't figured out is why everyone wants to be so
confounded precise about something that, unless it's in an absolutely
stable environment, will function well as long as the friction is within
an "acceptable" range - which varies depending on the environment
surrounding the instrument in question. I don't believe I've ever found
a piano whose flanges were consistantly at "optimal friction levels."

Kinda reminds me of the axiom that says, "Measure it with a micro-fine
caliper, mark it with chalk, cut with an axe."

Just my bend view on things....and it *might* change tomorrow, so don't
hold me to it.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician		"And like that...he's gone."
University of Michigan		     - Roger "Verbal" Kint (Kevin Spacey)
School of Music			       The Usual Suspects
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)