Gram Tension Gauges

Tue Feb 16 07:57 MST 1999

Horace Greeley wrote:

> David,
>
> >I already have the spring tension gage (sic) listed on page 22 of the APSCO
> >catalog, but was looking for something more sensitive.
>
> There has never been much care with spelling in any of these catalogs...
> One must simply gauge for one's self.

While you are correct in that proper spelling has not been a high priority among
those putting together the various piano supply catalogs -- nor is it on the
pianotech list, I might add -- this is not one of their errors:

gauge also gage (gāj)  noun
Abbr. ga.
1. a. A standard or scale of measurement. b. A standard dimension, quantity, or
capacity.
2. An instrument for measuring or testing.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright
© 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO
Corporation. All rights reserved.

> >2.  I have a supply of center pins from Pianotek, and I have been pleased
> >with them.  However, is it unkosher to use these center pins on a Steinway
> >piano?  Would you recommend that I purchase another supply of center pins
> >directly from Steinway for use on Steinway pianos?  Do you have a favorite
> >brand of center pin that you swear by, and if so, why?
>
> Kosher?  Smosher!  It's all tref!
>
> If there is a reason to get anal about which center pins to use on S&S
> instruments, it is because the ones you get from them are tumble polished, and
> (mostly), lack the burrs and ridges which will cut up the rather coarsely woven
> bushing felt.

Over the years I've done a considerable amount of work on pianos using Teflon
bushings.  And I was taught to use only S&S pins for this very reason.  Then I did
some testing on my own.  I could find no evidence at all that the burr left from
the standard flush-cutting side cutters caused any difficulties at all.  Yes,
there is a slight roughness to the end of the cut, but that is at the outside of
the bushing anyway.  If it is going to damage anything at all it will be the very
outside micrometer or two of the bushing.  Certainly not enough to affect the
function of the bushing to any discernible extent.  Once I figured this out I
started using standard centerpins for all of my Teflon bushing work -- thousands
of them -- with never a problem.

This is a much over-rated problem.  Simply get a good set of flush-cutting side
cutters -- check with Techni-Tool and Jensen Tools -- and use them properly.

(You might also check with them for gram gauges/gages.  That's where I got mine.
For a lot less than $170.  Of course I've had them for 20 or more years...)

Del