Gram Tension Gauges

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon Feb 15 21:18 MST 1999

Dear Friends,

Two Questions:

1.  I am needing to do a lot of action center repinning with a fair amount
of accuracy.

I already have the spring tension gage (sic) listed on page 22 of the APSCO
catalog, but was looking for something more sensitive.

I am drooling over the Correx 15g gauge listed as part # 31-003-7, on page
B-25 of the Pianotek Supply Co. Catalog.  However, the cost for such a
fancy gadget is $169.95.

Can you recommend a highly accurate gram tension gauge that is less costly
than the Correx gauge?  I am thinking I saw an advertisement for a
Kontaktor (spelling?) gram tension gauge, but I can't find this item listed
in either Pianotek, APSCO, or Schaff catalogs.  I want to buy a tool that
will last the rest of my life and will do the job.  Can you suggest a tool
that will do what I want?

2.  I have a supply of center pins from Pianotek, and I have been pleased
with them.  However, is it unkosher to use these center pins on a Steinway
piano?  Would you recommend that I purchase another supply of center pins
directly from Steinway for use on Steinway pianos?  Do you have a favorite
brand of center pin that you swear by, and if so, why?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven