workload statistics/The contract tech-A better deal-

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri Feb 12 07:30 MST 1999

David Porritt wrote:

> Yes, I have worked the guidelines numbers several years ago. I am a
> contract tech - roughly half time with 110 pianos.  I actually crunched
  I'm still a 0.5 person.

David,
     As a full time tech and for your sake, I would keep it like you
have it.  I recall a class by George Emerson of Ball State who did a
salary study about a decade ago which showed that contract techs make
much more per hour than us employees.
      Your administrators will create a full-time position, give it a
range of say 30-40k with a depressing classification. You will either
take it or lose your existing contract.  That U work is a great source
of private work, but full-time won't leave enough time/energy to do
much   Others will make the $40/hour while you get $17-and all the fun
of university enslavement.  If the U gets control over you, all kinds of
unhappy things will happen. Stay contracted!! "Privatization" is in
vogue anyway.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT
currently full property of CMU (14 years),
4 years contracted to NMU