workload statistics/The contract tech

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu Feb 11 15:31 MST 1999

Yes, I have worked the guidelines numbers several years ago. I am a
contract tech - roughly half time with 110 pianos.  I actually crunched
two sets of numbers, based on an optimistic view of our inventory with a
low expectation, and a pessimistic (realistic) view of the inventory and
realistic expectations.  The outcome was that I needed to be either 1.5
people or 2.2 people.  I'm still a 0.5 person.

I've found that administrators find it relatively easy to say "that's
all the money we can spend" and that's the end of the conversation.
Unless the (tenured) faculty makes a stink, there's no hope of changing
that "hard reality" view.  Even with a stink, an extra allocation to
rebuild a couple of pianos usually calms the faculty and the issue dies.

10 minutes ago, I finished writing a memo about our budget.  It will be
read and discussed politely and the final figures will probably not
change.  At least I have a hard disk full of memos that explain why the
pianos are in the condition there in.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts