workload statistics/The contract tech

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu Feb 11 10:17 MST 1999

<< 	Has anyone out there really worked through the complete PTG guidelines
 formula?  Willing to post your numbers?  Anyone interested in doing the
formula
 to see if we can get some solid information?

       -Ed Sutton-
      Northeast Louisiana University
       m >>

Ed, I am particularly interested in this.  How many of us out there have used
the workload formula in the GUIDELINES - actually crunched the numbers?  And
have you found that information useful in proposals to the school for
upgrades, etc?

I would like to refine my question further:  How many of you CONTRACT TECHS
have worked the numbers in the workload formula?   And do you have any
recommendations which might make the GUIDELINES more useful to you - possibly
a faster way of getting at similar conclusions?

As Ed pointed out, it takes a considerable amount of time to crunch the
numbers in the workload formula.  They are the right questions to ask, and the
numbers you get seem to me to be what we would most want to have - but because
of the time commitment I know that some of us have just referred to the
general conclusions of the GUIDELINES rather than work the number ourselves,
for our own situation.

I am in the process, right now, of doing reports for my two contract schools
based on the workload formula.  However, university contract techs like myself
are even less inclined to crunch the numbers than the employed tech, I think,
because their compensation is so often fee for service, and unless we actually
obtain a fee for this service we might not work the numbers.  In talking with
fellow univ contract techs, I am impressed at the extent the workload formula
gets completely ignored in the use of the GUIDELINES.  I am particularly
interested in whether some of you contract techs have used the workload
formula, and whether you have any other recommendations which might make the
GUIDELINES more accessible to the contract technician.