NY selection

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed Feb 10 11:10 MST 1999

Hi,

In all seriousness there are some simply things that can be done to compare
pianos. One test I suggest to clients is to play c6 and count the number of
seconds until the sound dies. If all else is equal, then the piano with
better sustain is imho the better buy. I also would never recommend a piano
where the sound didn't last for 8 seconds--so this test can remove some of
the chaff from the wheat.

Another tool that I use is Reyburn Cyber Tuner. It has a module which
allows a look at the tonal spectrum of a piano. Why should a client buy a
piano that is badly voiced and tuned? I sure would not buy a car with a
flat tire!

At 12:57 PM 2/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>        Reply to:   RE>>NY selection
>
>Thanks, Danny. I like your idea of taking measurements. Maybe I'll go with
a clipboard and a white lab coat as well! Or a stethoscope - I have one of
those (bought one years ago but could never figure out how to make it work
to diagnose buzzes etc. in pianos - maybe I can finally put it to work).

>tongue-still-there,
>
>Allen

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/