Hamburgers

Tue Feb 9 18:02 MST 1999

Conrad,

Hmmmm - Newton's suggestion sounds entirely too, err, suggestive...

Anway,

At 02:13 PM 2/9/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>I just finished a conversation with the department head/piano prof.
>regarding the acquisition of a new concert instrument for the planned new
>recital hall.  He is completely enamoured of Hamburg Steinways and would
>dearly love to see one in the new hall.

Folks who are madly in love with these things should simply be allowed to
buy them, as nothing else will convince them otherwise.  Having been in
on this kind of disaster, ah, purchase, several times - I would urgently
suggest simply smiling politely, nodding occaisionally, and making pleasant
murmurings as necessary.

Moving on, if the hall is not too large - say, less than 800 seats or so,
and it's built-in acoustics are bright enough, almost anything can be made
to work.  While no one likes to hear it, that is where all of those fancy-
pants European pianos sound best.  (They really aren't designed to drive
the volume extant in most American theaters, but, that's the subject of
another discussion, and long, hot debate.)

>Any on this list been in on the purchase of one?

Yes, several dozen, over a 30 year period.

>Would it's selection be handled by a visit to Hamburg?

Depends.  They have the occasional Hamburger in NY, as well as
at other "retail" locations.  Selection, under these circumstances,
is (virtually) nonexistant.

Going to Hamburg is a trial in itself.  Sure, you can make a date,
etc.  Problem is, unless you are set up with an artist for whom the
folks in Hamburg have respect, you might as well go to the selection
room at the factory in NY.  Plenty-O-Pianos.  Not many that are what
I think of as being truly "concert" quality.

On the other hand, this is a place where the reasonably prudent technician
(hmm, do I know any of these?), is simply going to behave as outlined
above.  If your piano person is hot to go "select" - let 'em.  If the
board isn't falling out, and the frame isn't separating, you'll at least
have the warranty on which to rely.

>Would arrangements for such a visit be made through NY or direct?

The local dealers, and NY, will probably tell you that you can't get
a date without going through them.  As Gershwin wrote:  "It ain't
necessarily so".  On the other hand, some clients have discovered that
going through NY makes dealing with little problems like payment and
customs simply _ever_ so much easier.

I think it depends on if someone has the pull with some major European
artist.  However, even if you have that, you might wind up with a piano
from, say, Paris, instead of directly from Hamburg...

So, part of the question becomes: "And to whom do you wish to pay
how much commission?"

>Would there be any financial advantage to euro-selection?

None.  Zero.  Zip.

In fact, it might well turn out to cost more, after transportation, etc.

Oh, yes, I'll take the half-pounder, medium rare, cheddar, and thick red
onion...

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT