Teflon

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 20 14:05 MST 1999

Bill and Tom,
At WI we have 100+ Steinway's with teflon.  After 25 years most of the
clickers are eliminated.   I have  a  D on stage that everyone has
forgotten is bushed with teflon.  Performers think it's great.
	I share your experience that the teflon isn't terribly difficult to
master.  With UW budget I never bought the reamers, but use the center pin
method.   Keep the pins scored with the files.  I find the teflon builds up
and dulls the scoring on the pin.
	Have you determined the cause of the clicking?   My thought is that
the click doesn't come from the loose fitting of the pin in the bushing,
but instead from the bushing slapping against the flange.  One of my
students was called on the do a mini-tech on eliminated clicks from teflon.
We reamed the bushing several sizes bigger, but could not make the click.
By filing some wood off the tongue of the flange we finally made it click.
 My analysis :  the click comes from the loose fit between the bushing and
flange.
	This may explain the quick fix of inserting a balance punching in
this area to stop the clicking.  Anyone had this experience?
Keep In tune....
Joel