new Steinway hammers (was Flexible collodion...)

Sun Dec 12 18:32 MST 1999

Vince, Newton, et al,

At 04:44 PM 12/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I did that once, and found the hammers gained in weight from .1 gram to .5
>grams.
>
>At 11:13 AM 12/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >It would be
> >interesting to weigh a hammer before hardening and then again after.

Sorry, should have thought of mentioning this before.

These numbers correspond to my own experience.  Once the piano is "voiced",
"brought up", whatever euphonism one wishes to use for hardening to a
"playable" level, there does not seem to be a substantive difference
between hardeners as to one increasing mass more than another.

Horace