Flexible collodion for voicing hammers

Eric Schandall eric_schandall@telus.net
Sun Dec 12 15:27 MST 1999

Horace,
Thank you for your response to my questions:

 Would the development of the use of acetone be related to the
different time constraints and the type of work being done in the C and
A Deptartment? If lacquer of one type or another is better than the
plastics is there any reason to avoid using acetone as the thinner?

Your response:
"The answer to question one is that that is the excuse used to justify
the change.
Question two is less politically charged.  My personal preference, when
time allows, is to use lacquer thinner, rather than acetone.  The slower
drying thinner seems to allow a more homogenous penetration of the
hammer.
The acetone-thinned lacquer, by comparison, tends to wick to the areas
of greatest surface exposure (most noticably around the edges of the
hammer) and has a further tendency to "clump up" (an obscure technical
term meaning some parts are unpredictably harder than others) more than
lacquer thinned with thinner."

	I've enjoyed this thread. By it's nature voicing is a subject which can
always bear discussion and comment. Thanks
		Regards,
			Eric Schandall