new Steinway hammers (was Flexible collodion...)

Fri Dec 10 21:39 MST 1999

Ron,

At 09:58 PM 12/10/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Horace,
>Well, you got me. What, accordingly, does one do with voicing when one's
>five minute e.g. determines that the soundboard is flat?

Much Prayer.  Much incense.  Make it louder than hell, and hope no one notices.

The cynic might observe that contemporary voicing techniques lend themselves
quite well to dealing with such instruments...the practitioners get a good deal
of practice.

By comparison, the last D for which I took responsibility, needed a new
board/etc,
so I sent it out and did the action myself.  With minimal hardening throughout,
especially in the extremes of the range, the sound positively jumped off
the board.
The belly work on this instrument was done by Peter Mohr, Franz' older son, at
New England Classic Piano Restorations.  (Shameless plug for good work.)

Geez!  It's Friday!

Best.

Horace