new Steinway hammers (was Flexible collodion...)

Dorothy A. Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 15:55 MST 1999

Dear List,

In April '99, John Patton from Steinway gave a talk in Boston on voicing
hammers, particularly new Steinway hammers.  Usual disclaimers, and I know
Steinway would be your best source, but here's my synopsis for what a field tech
should do to voice new S&S hammers based on my understanding of the talk:

First goal: Build Power--
1) Apply 1/4 str nitrocellulose lacquer to hammer shoulders, _or_ inject
acetate/keytop solution into shoulders of lower hammers and pour same over
treble hammers to soak felt (avoid soaking core). (Note: hammers have had
lacquer applied to shoulders in factory already, the speaker stated.)
2) On the next day, file to optimize shape, depth, flatness (having already
regulated, fit hammers to strings, leveled strings, adjusted string fit at
bridge and capo bar, tuned, etc., etc., on the previous day); then,
3) Check tone power: if increase needed, inject the 1/4 str lacquer at shoulders
so that a small amount seeps into the felt at strike point.

Second goal, one day after last use of lacquer: Eliminate Noise
1) Use single voicing needle at contact point only, not on shoulder (this does
not apply to other hammers, only to Steinway), aiming for consistency of tone
note to note.
2) Repeat needling with soft pedal on.

Final goal: Adjusting Tone Balance
1) If needed on individual notes, apply 1/4 str lacquer at striking point to
increase power (let dry 1 day before further work, as above).
2) "Occasionally" one might use softening solution (70% isopropyl alcohol/Fabric
softener, 8:1 mix -- but because long-term effects are not known, be cautious).

The talk was more than an hour long, so the above is just a sketch. I was
puzzled by the whole approach, though, because it seemed like a great deal of
work to prepare something which had just been purchased. One of my more
forthright classmates asked why this was not all done at the factory, where
solutions, ventilation, experience, etc., were all available; no answer was
given and he did not feel that the question was well received.

So I give you this somewhat in puzzlement and look forward to any comments.

Dorrie Bell
Associate Member, PTG