Flexible collodion for voicing hammers

Fri Dec 10 15:15 MST 1999

Ray,

At 03:07 PM 12/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Ron Conar from Steinway demonstrated the use of acetone and keytops at the
>Steinway Gallery in St. Louis some time ago for the St. Louis Chapter PTG.
>I understood at the time, that it was in use at Steinway.

Ron (Conors) may well be using actual keytops, as the concert department
has always had more latitude.

At the same time, I am not sure that people at the factory were aware (at that
time) that the basic material (looks the same, sort of - but responds
differently
when emulsifying and in use) is different than that (normally)  used in
keytops.
Plastic is not just plastic.

>I will probably be replacing hammers on a D soon with the improved hammers
>with shanks already glued.  Does anyone know if there is a factory
>recommended procedure for treating these hammers at installation?  Have they
>already been treated with some solution at the factory? I'll be replacing
>repetitions too to get most of the teflon out of this one.

"Improved hammers"?

The traditional recommended factory procedure with new hammers was to do
nothing
until you heard what the piano sounded like...

As to how to proceed, frankly, I am really old fashioned in technique and
approach...definitely not what you heard in St. Louis, for example.

Good luck!

Horace