Flexible collodion for voicing hammers

Ray Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Fri Dec 10 14:09 MST 1999

Ron Conar from Steinway demonstrated the use of acetone and keytops at the
Steinway Gallery in St. Louis some time ago for the St. Louis Chapter PTG.
I understood at the time, that it was in use at Steinway.

I will probably be replacing hammers on a D soon with the improved hammers
with shanks already glued.  Does anyone know if there is a factory
recommended procedure for treating these hammers at installation?  Have they
already been treated with some solution at the factory? I'll be replacing
repetitions too to get most of the teflon out of this one.

Thanks

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL