Flexible collodion for voicing hammers

Wed Dec 8 19:47 MST 1999

Ron,

At 07:08 AM 12/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hmm. My colleague, the imitable (who says there's a God?) Grijalva,
>insists on providing our shop pantry with lacquer bearing the *least*
>amount of solids. Is this a contradiction? Before arriving at this august
>institution, I hadn't given much thought to lacquer composition. The
>presence (or lack) of solids must bear on how hard the stuff cures, yes?

Ah, yes....another area in which Bob and I, err, ah, disagree.

No contradiction, per se - difference in style.

I learned lacquer (among other useful things, some related to pianos) from
Bill Hupfer and Franz Mohr over a long period of time, and have seen no
reason to substantively deviate from their instruction.  (FWIW, both of
them preferred at the time, when any hardener was needed at all,
shellac.  I used it for a long time...basically until customer/technician
complaints about "discoloration" became too onerous.  Never seemed to
affect the tone adversely...)

This really does open up the whole Pandora's Box issue of what/why/when/how
much/etc does one use.  Some pianos "want" a very thin, light
application.  Others simply demand being loaded to the eyes with the
heaviest stuff you can find.  My inherited preference for automotive
lacquer stems from the usage - that is, Bill and Franz both spent most of
their time working on instruments that had to be heard above orchestras
from the back of a 3000 seat hall.  Since this was in the days when people
still knew what pianos were supposed to sound like, loading up the hammers
with plastic goo was not an option.  The resulting sound is simply too
thin, too reedy sounding, and too lacking in fundamental to carry as other
than a "splat"...doesn't even qualify as what we used to call "glassy".

In any event, what most technicians seem to miss is that no voicing
technique, however brutal or subtle, can bring out what is not there to
begin with...one can make it louder or softer, more or less harsh...but,
bad tone is built in before the name goes on (to paraphrase the old Zenith
commercial).

> >Sad - maybe I'll just have to pour this out somewhere EPA-safe....
>
>Safe from EPA scrutiny?

 From your lips to my ears.

Cheers!

Best regards to all.