Newton Hunt in the Movies

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri Aug 27 07:01 MDT 1999

> If I didn't have young kids I would love to visit Cuba

Bring them along Michael, they, you and your wife will by make more
than welcome.

Yes, I do NOT like saxophones the way 99% of the people play them.  An
exception is the saxophone quartet at Michigan State University.
Those guys are _smooth_ and it is hard to identify the sound as from a
saxophone.  My wife has the CD and won't let me have it back, which
"borrowed" from the desk of the previous department manager at
Rutgers.  A Rutgers graduate was the producer of the CD.  Most sax
suckers honk it as loud as they can, not for sound quality or sound
control.

The video is available through Benjamin Treuhaft <blt@igc.org> or he
can direct you to a source.

My first appearance is at the time we, as a group, arrived.  Ben
handed me a capful of rum, which I promptly downed.  I did not know I
was being taped.  Ah, well, caught red handed (or nosed) again!

My perception of the piano situation in Cuba is not so much that the
pianos need tuning and massive repairs (which they sorely need) but
that the tuners there need tools, supplies and instruction.  If there
were good technicians remaining there after the revolution they did
not pass their knowledge on to the next generation.  The technician
that works on the concert instruments at the concert hall in Havana is
good, real good, but the rest of the tuners there need major help.
These people have been outside the loop for 30 years or more, with no
Journals, books, instruction, conventions or sharing of knowledge like
we have enjoyed for all this time.  WE have grown, improved, changed,
gained skills, expanded the scope of our work; they have not had the
opportunity to do as we have.

I went back, on my own with a group from Canada, specifically to teach
regulation to one technician who spoke English since my Spanish was
and is not good enough for that.  The idea was I teach him and he
teaches others.  We regulated two Russian concert grands, A Moskva and
an Estonia, each with their own unique problems.  I left about $1,000
worth of tools there.  A mere drop in a bucket in terms of what they
need.  I sincerely hope the seed I planted has sprouted.

The people are the warmest, friendliest and sharingest people I have
ever met.  Worth going there just to meet them and experience their
warmth.

Very likely the trip will cost about $1500 for everything excluding
donations.  The first time I went I left all my clothes there.

For gifts bring or send fine soaps, perfumes, beauty products, bras,
tools, unique packaged foods, or any other semi luxury items.

I cuba the people can buy anything, computers, cars (German, Japanese,
Korean, Italian, French) food, CDs, stereo equipment, pianos,
_anything_ IF they have the money.  The very poor get about 6.00 Pesos
per month and the very educated and competent are paid about 40.00
Pesos per month.  A Peso is worth about $.05 as I recall.

I want to go back again because I feel I can make a substantive
difference there.

So in this film you see me drinking, bitching and likely doing
something else antisocial.

Get the tape, it is worth seeing, especially if you ignore my
contributions.

		Newton