Newton Hunt in the Movies

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed Aug 25 21:29 MDT 1999

Indeed it depends on who's playing, Vince. From my perspective, I'm referring
to those who are given 32 bars, "say" everything they know in the first 8 bars,
and just blow for the sake of blowing for the other 24. I call this "honking"
instead of playing. Of those you mentioned, Paul Desmond was NOT guilty of
this... he never "said" the same thing twice. Instead, he built consistent,
artistic, musical lines while -still- revealing his prowess on the instrument.
Although I'm familiar with the other two, I've never studied their playing
styles.

Reference: I particularly -like- Bob Mintzer's big band -and- the
arrangements... fresh, moody, poignant, but still powerful arrangments, and
reminiscent of much larger bands of a bygone era. I'm not sure, but suspect
that Mintzer himself is a single-reed player of the persuasion being discussed.
If so, the arrangements I've heard have far too many solo sax breaks written
into the scores. Within those solo breaks, the fresh, improvisational ideas are
not forthcoming fast enough. What starts out really good becomes honking in
short order.

Jim Harvey, RPT
[is that me honking?]