Carpet Cleaning

Tue Aug 10 04:34 MDT 1999

David,
At 20:01 8/9/99 -0500, you wrote:

>  There were big fans
>going to help with drying out the carpets.  Classes start in two weeks, but
>about half of the pianos need tuned before next Friday (August 20, 1999).

Were the pianos in place when they did the carpets?  Were the carpets
_completely_ dry when/if they were replaced?  If not, will they also be
blaming you for the marks (rust/dirt/lubricant) the casters now have
imparted to the carpet?

>I explained to the music department secretary that the moisture in the
>carpets would adversely affect the tunings and that it would be best to
>hold off for a week or two longer.

While 'tis true that most department secretaries really run things, the
dept. head should hear the same explanation directly from you. (not all
heads listen to their secretaries)

>I assume that the pianos will all be very sharp in pitch due to a hot,
>humid summer with no air conditioning in the building, and with an
>additional dose of moisture from the carpet cleaning.

Yup.

>Does anyone have any direct experience with this type of situation?  How
did you handle it successfully in the past?

As an in-house tech, I talk with the instructor whose carpet just got
cleaned (no carpet in prac.rms) and tell them I'll be back in a few weeks
to do the tuning.

If you don't already, take a humidity gage along and document current
ambient conditions as well as pitch.  Leave Dampp-Chaser literature.  Talk
with dept head again after you _do_ tune and compare ambient
conditions/pitchs found.

Document, document, document. (CYA)

Good luck.

Conrad