Carpet Cleaning

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon Aug 9 19:03 MDT 1999

Greetings!

One of my accounts, a private college with about 12 owned pianos (and 10
Baldwin loan pianos) is having me tune a bunch of the pianos before the
semester begins.  Today I went to check out the situation, and all of the
carpets in the music department had just been cleaned.  There were big fans
going to help with drying out the carpets.  Classes start in two weeks, but
about half of the pianos need tuned before next Friday (August 20, 1999).

I explained to the music department secretary that the moisture in the
carpets would adversely affect the tunings and that it would be best to
hold off for a week or two longer.

I assume that the pianos will all be very sharp in pitch due to a hot,
humid summer with no air conditioning in the building, and with an
additional dose of moisture from the carpet cleaning.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this type of situation?  How
did you handle it successfully in the past?

Thanks!

David Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, MO
(filling in at Ozark Christian College for a good friend who is injured)

PS.  It was nice meeting a lot of you at the CAUT class "The ABC's of
Academic Tuning".  I don't have any answers, just questions!