parts and supplies purchases

David Skolnik skolnik@ibm.net
Fri Apr 23 19:47 MDT 1999

I don't mean to ridicule the question, but it brings up an interesting
observation, to me, at least.   I am trying to visualize another trade, say
auto mechanic, or plumber, or electrician, or appliance repair, that seems
to have so much discomfort with the concept of mark up, or which seems to
discuss it so openly (mark-up, not the discomfort).  This is  apart and
away from how this concept interfaces with the institution / employee
relationship.   In my expirience there were a few distributors who would
not sell direct to the institution in order to preserve the ability of the
installer to retain some flexibility in pricing, while still allowing a
reasonable mark-up.  Maybe we should discuss the ethical validity of
mark-ups.

David Skolnik
Manhattan School Of Music
dskolnik@msmnyc.edu