parts and supplies purchases

fred s sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Apr 23 08:35 MDT 1999

I have been allocated $1500 to purchase some benches for our department.
My question has to do with whether to have the department issue a purchase
order to Jansen (or GRK), or to do the purchase on my own account and sell
them to the department. This will apply to part supply houses when and if
I manage to get a budget line. (I just recently converted from 1/4 time
contract technician to 1/2 time staff, so up to now I have purchased and
resold to the department).

1) Do the various supply houses sell directly to institutions?
2) At what price rate? Suggested retail? Our discount? Other?
3) Any thoughts about the other considerations involved, such as conflict
of interest. (It is a state institution, and subject to purchase
regulations, but I am pretty aware of what those are, and have a good
relationship with our accountant).

Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico