annual budget querry...

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon Apr 19 15:51 MDT 1999

We don't have an annual budget, here. Our funding comes directly from the
SOM's general operating fund. They're so confident that we won't overspend
the budget (the bigger picture - who knows what those numbers are!) that
central administration issued credit cards to appropriate staff so we can
just go right out and purchase whatever we need, when we need it.

So far, we haven't been called into the director's office to explain our
spending habits (not much to them since we have little time to do
rebuilds, anyhow). I'll bet we don't spend more than about $5000-6000,
annually. That's not to say our annual budget for parts is that high,
though.

We're also fortunate to have an endowment whose interest provides upwards
of $15K per year that must be used in a manner specified by the donor.
Most of those funds have gone towards replacing vertical pianos with an
occasional grand rebuild if there are no vertical replacement needs.

Sheesh! Seems like I had a $1200 budget when I was a TWitchSU back in
'86-'87. I didn't think inflation had gone that high. As I recall, most of
the practice grands were in pretty sorry shape. Is that still the case?

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician		"And like that...he's gone."
University of Michigan		     - Roger "Verbal" Kint (Kevin Spacey)
School of Music			       The Usual Suspects
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)