Playing Musical Chairs with Pianos

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue Apr 6 20:45 MDT 1999

Gordon, I'll back out of the value portion, but would like to contribute my
views on the best way to go issue, and a few other thoughts.

The situation:
The benefactor syndrome (anonymous or not) is rarely a clean deal; usually
there's one or more hooks in there somewhere. Too bad the benefactor
wouldn't settle for his name on a brass plate nailed to the fallboard! In
many schools, unfortunately the cost of having the brass plate inscribed
would prove a financial hardship.

Q: Was there any mention of equal value, or literally "something" towards
the purchase? Surely your chair could come up with three/three
hundred/three thousand dollars out of some budget pocket.
Q: Who's date-stamp are we using? Does the school have some time to rally,
perhaps allocate budget funds (within or across) a fiscal period? Based on
my experiences, it's the benefactor's option -- otherwise the offer is
withdrawn.

The pianos:
Many schools need more pianos, not fewer. The condition of extant pianos is
another matter. I've never quite understood how funds can "appear" for
replacement, but try to get a hundred dollars for a repair. I digress. The
point is that the benefactor will not likely want to leave "funding a
rebuild" as his legacy to the school.

You didn't mention brand names for the new instrument. However, at $60K,
you're still in the haggling, street-price range for a S&S 'D' (at least as
of this time last year). With this in mind...

Normally, considering the two pianos and vintages (with no other data), I
think I would prefer to keep the '63 Baldwin. Ouch! I said it. Having said
it, I now take it back. Keeping the Steinway makes more sense because:

- sooner or later, funds will be available to repair/rebuild (whichever)
existing instrument;
- sooner or later, you may need both instruments for duo-piano performances;
- parts inventory is easier with like kinds;
- swapping (parts/strings/whatever in an emergency) is more likely possible;
- benefit of selection -- someone can choose the new instrument to be
"different" than the current one. One could be a window-breaker (if those
still exist), the other have a more utilitarian personality. This in turn
offers performers a similar benefit of selection;
- you could do all sorts of Kent Swafford type tricks and experiments with
two like kinds.

Regardless of outcome, it's good to hear that you are involved in the
matter. However, whatever happens, don't take it as a personal thing --
you're marching to a different drummer than either the benefactor or the
department chair.

Regards,
-jh-

At 08:11 PM 4/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
[snip]
>I'd also welcome opinions from you CAUT folks about what might be the best
>way to go from here.  Thanks for any assistence.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Gordon Large, RPT
>Colby College
>Waterville, Maine

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
  Redmond, WA -- Microsoft announced today that the
  official release date for the new operating system
  "Windows 2000" will be delayed until the second
  quarter of 1901.  -From Penny Pennington (p2)