Replacing Steinway Action R

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Wed Sep 30 13:26 MDT 1998

                      Subject:                              Time:  2.37 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Replacing Steinway Action Rails       Date:  9/30/98

We do this at Oberlin. I have used straight acetylene as the heat source but find that the a mapp gas/oxygen torch (available at your local hardware store for about $50.00) works better. They give a very hot flame that is good for both disassembly and the refitting. Don't try to heat up the entire bracket area when soldering a new rail in. You can heat up sufficiently large areas on the bracket and rail so that neat, solder "tacks" firmly hold the rail in place. To be sure it is firmly in place, try to break it loose. I do this so that I won't have to fix it later when its out of my shop and a lot less convenient to do so.

I don't have time to outline my complete procedure, but it works well and allows me to customize my rail placement with the parts I'm using.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

PS  Kim Fippin and I replaced rails on a "D" at the school she works at (Otterbein), and she documented the procedure on slides. Makes for a good class.