Plugging/redrilling Steinway letoff rail

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Wed Sep 30 11:28 MDT 1998

List,

This discussion on action rail replacement could not be more timely. About
eight years ago I did my one and only Steinway action rail replacement here
at school. It was on a 1920's Hamburg A. The hammer and wippen rails were
badly split but the let-off rail was in good shape. I followed a procedure
from a local technician that had done a replacement in the past.

I used my Craftsman propane torch with the soldering tip attachment, 50/50
solder and Oatey No. 5 solder paste. It was a difficult process but I
managed to get it all together. This past summer I noticed that the solder
joints came loose so I am trying again. Also, I believe I got the spread
wrong so it is the best time to start over.

Horace, could you give any more information on the iron you used. Power,
where to get, etc. Any words on your process of fastening the rail to the
brackets? I have one of those small butane hand torches (Piezzio?) and I
just tried one joint. It seems to have worked but will it in the long run?

Since this is a piano no longer in production, I had to drill the holes.
If anyone has to do this, be very careful that the bit does not slip from
the mark. Ask me how I know. Also, be sure the countersink is deep enough.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu